Sunday, December 28, 2008

Late Christmas Cookie Post

Because I have not made any yet, since the range is still not hooked up, I have been putting this post off. I'm betting by next Monday, though, it will be (the stove, that is...hooked up), so I pulled out this odd little book I found at a yard sale years ago. It's called the Christmas Stocking Book, and it was published in 1957. Inside are some obscure recipes (obscure to me, anyway) for alcoholic beverages, like a "Tom and Jerry" made with hot milk, rum and whiskey, and an egg, to be served in an 8-oz. goblet. "Farmer's Bishop" involves 6 oranges, flaming brandy, and a chafing dish. There are craft ideas, all very simple, and suggestions for involving the children, and making home made gifts. The book is, of course, out of print, and a different book by the same name comes up in searches most of the time. I am not sure this book is worth seeking out, as I only use it for one thing...

The best recipe in the book, and the reason I bring it out every year, aside from its decorative red-and-green cover, is the ginger cookie recipe:

1 1/4 cups sifted flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup soft butter
1 teaspoon grated orange rind (I never seem to have this on hand, so I omit it)

Sift together the first three ingredients. Bring molasses and butter to a boil in saucepan. Cool slightly: Add flour mixture and orange rind; mix well. Chill thoroughly. Roll dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut with cookie cutters. Bake on a greased cookie sheet, 1/2 inch apart, 8-10 minutes in a 375 degree oven. Yields 3 dozen.

This recipe is so easy (if you have a kitchen), and requires so few ingredients, I could make it year round, but I prefer to use Christmas cutters and keep it for this season.

2 comments:

Willa said...

My husband's grandpa used to make Tom and Jerry's -- it was a Christmas tradition back before I was married into the clan.

Thanks for the ginger cookie mix; I have been looking for one without eggs. I used to have one but lost it somehow : ).

michelle mom of 9 said...

Mmm, sounds great, I love ginger.