Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Christmas Carol Meme

I picked this up at Red Cardigan's blog (still wondering: Is it a corgi or a sweater?):

Christmas Carols:

1. Love 'em, hate 'em, tolerate 'em, or...?

2. Policy: none before Christmas, none before Thanksgiving, or...?

3. Favorite? Favorites, if you've got more than one?

4. Least favorite? Drives you batty/hate it/turn it off if it comes on the radio?

5. Caroling door to door in neighborhood? Ever done it/would do it? Wouldn't even consider it?

6. Funniest kids' rendition, if any?

7. Most inappropriate carol ever heard in a church setting (Catholic or otherwise)?

8. The one foreign language carol I know (or know best) is...?

9. Carol that perplexes you the most?

10. Carol your whole family will sing?

Here goes:

1. Love 'em.

2. Well, we have to rehearse, don't we?

3. Tomorrow Will be my Dancing Day (not the best version...I like this and Rutter/Gardner).

4. Feed The World (Band Aid) Puh-lese. Imposing Christianity on the world like that should be illegal. Also, Michael Jackson. Ugh.

5. We do it for cookies, and our village has the best cookies.

6. Definitely the ol' classic, "Jingle Bells, Batman Smells."

7. Not during Mass, but upcoming at a church concert...words changed from "Go Tell it on the Mountain" to "Let's hear it for the Youth Choir." Double puh-lese.

8. Gaudete. The fast version. With percussion, yes. Big exception to my usually anti-percussion church-music snobbery, though tympani are preferable to tambourine. This piece is a big announcement.

9. Silent Night, which in the original German, describes Jesus a a curly-haired child. Just strikes me funny.

10. Sans Day Carol (The Holly Bears a Berry), Waterson's version, in harmony (hear it on track 6 on Frost and Fire).


Try it!




3 comments:

Erin Manning said...

Oh, I'm so glad you did this one!

(It's a sweater. My favorite. First year I did NaNoWriMo, needed a log in name, sweater hanging on chair...and the rest, as they say, is history!)

:)

MacBeth Derham said...

I was picturing the sweater. :)

Fun meme, Erin, thanks!

MilitantMom said...

My absolute most hated "Christmas song," which ranks very closely at the rock bottom to, "Last Christmas I gave you my heart," (by Boy George, I think) is "Happy Christmas, War is Over," by John Lennon. And for your viewing/listening pleasure:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb2YSAVHmIE