Monday, December 8, 2008

Animated History of Alphabets

Georgia (not ours, the other one) has a different alphabet: ქართული დამწერლობა. I had no idea. Pretty, isn't it?

When I was a child I was fascinated by the first few pages of each volume of our encyclopedia. There I could find out how our alphabet evolved and became what it is today. The "A" volume had versions of the letter "a" from earliest writing to the modern form. Hey, and each subsequent volume had the history of its letter, too! And I loved the Kipling classic, "How the Alphabet Was Made," from the Just So Stories.
So imagine my amusement when I found this website with an animation of the development of alphabets: See them in action.

2 comments:

Mary Machado said...

Really cool site - I love the new picture book on alphabet history - Ox, House, Stick.

MacBeth Derham said...

OOoH! I'll have to check that out, Mary! Sounds like a book I'd enjoy.