Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Incredible Shrinking Mother

[Fade in, cue eerie music]

I feel microscopic. My voice is tiny, and though I'm screaming, I'm so small I fit in a jacket pocket, and the person wearing the jacket cannot hear me. The sounds around me are so loud that they all blend together , and I only hear parts of conversations. I scream again and again, but to no avail.

A nightmare? No. I was wide awake. Laryngitis? Nope. Feeling fine.

Maybe it has happened to you, too. I happens when a child accidentally presses the "call" button on her cell phone, and she's in a noisy place, like a concert that's just letting out, and you yell "hello" over and over; you hear giggling, or talking, or general rustling of coats and programs, but no one can hear your tiny, microscopic cell phone-reduced voice.

And then you hang up and wait for her to call for real.

3 comments:

Leonie said...

LOL! I know that feeling - but I often do it by mistake to my sons..Twice to the younges today!~

Elizabeth Kathryn Gerold-Miller said...

That is a very creative way to look at it!

RuinExplorer said...

My mother's phone calls me like that frequently. I often wonder if anyone else notices her purse yelling "hello?!?"