Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Wildlife Part I


Aside from the *ahem* Elk, we saw plenty of wildlife on our journey... This little fellow is, I'm pretty sure, a solitary sandpiper. It certainly was solitary! We found it in Big Horn National Forest. This strange-looking puddle (near a fresh water pump at a rest stop in the forest, well away from the vault toilets) was at an elevation of over 7000 feet. I never expected to see a sandpiper here. I love surprises like this.

BTW, the water at the pump was sooo cold and refreshing!

3 comments:

Alice Gunther said...

What a great find to capture in a photo.

[He must have followed you from New York.]

Anonymous said...

Did you see any grizzly bears? My parents were in Yellowstone a few weeks after you and they saw one - amazing as I haven't seen any bear there for many, many years.

MacBeth Derham said...

Yes, Mary! We heard a rumor tha there was a grizzly sow with an unheard of number of cubs--4! The next day, we saw her and the cubs. There is a photo of her (the cubs were behind her, and hard to photograph with the trees) on my homepage, www.macbethsopinion.com . We saw black bears, too. We were lucky--we saw most of the wildlife in that's found in the park, except wolves.