Tuesday, October 14, 2008

What Kind of Wood is Best?

For burning in your fireplace, that is. Check out this list.

What sparked this post? I have two trees that need to come down, and one that needs a heavy pruning. I know, I know...but this is serious. The apple tree I planted 7 years ago has produced crummy apples. I have tried everything, and still the only happy harvesters are the yellow jackets. The other tree I need to take down is the walnut hanging over the driveway. Things that go bump in the night here are mainly walnuts falling onto the cars. Bad. So both trees, neither of which is terribly tall, go. I bought a saw...

3 comments:

Maureen said...

Could the walnut tree be the reason for your icky apples? I'm thinking of planting an orchard in the front pasture and I seem to recall reading something about not planting walnut trees near fruit trees. Might be worth a quick google search. (It's possible I'm totally remembering wrong!)

Maureen said...

Also -- Thank you for this list! We're thinking about getting a wood burner to heat our house. The propane bill is already killing us and we practically live on a wood lot. Problem is that half our trees are pines.

MacBeth Derham said...

Walnuts vs. apples, eh? Interesting...I'll check, thanks!